Community-led endowment has doubled the number of scholarships since 2017
Holdingford, Minn. (May 22, 2018) – The Holdingford Scholarship Endowment announced that it has awarded 16 graduating seniors $500 scholarships for their continued education. Due to the generous support of the community, area businesses and Holdingford alumni, the Endowment was able to double the number of scholarships it awarded from eight in 2017 to 16 in 2018.
Scholarships are awarded based on the applicant’s school and community involvement, leadership skills, and post-secondary education plans. The recipients, their schools and planned areas of study are:
- Samuel Boulton, North Dakota State University: Civil Engineering
- Jenna Butler, Minnesota State University Mankato: Nursing
- Evan DeMorett, University of Minnesota Duluth: Human Biology
- Nathan Gerads, North Dakota State University: Mechanical Engineering
- Rachel Hellmann, Minnesota State University Moorhead: Exercise Science
- Ashley Kobernusz, St. Cloud State University: Environment Engineering
- Callie Kostreba, North Dakota State University: Nursing
- Kody Nelson, University of Minnesota Duluth: Bio-chemistry
- Abigail Panek, St. Cloud State University: Business
- Daemon Pierskalla, Alexandria Technical & Community College: Mechatronics
- Adam Ripplinger, North Dakota State University: Animal Science
- Lucas Ryan, University of Minnesota: Aero Science
- Cody Skwira, University of Minnesota Duluth: Criminology
- Courtney Thielen, College of St. Scholastica: Physical Therapy
- Morgan Vouk, Concordia College: English
- Owen Wunderlich, St. Cloud Technical & Community College: Psychology
The Holdingford Scholarship Endowment was started in 2013 with the goal of eventually awarding every graduating senior a scholarship for their future education. Led by a board of dedicated community members and Holdingford High School alumni, the Endowment raises funds and pays out a portion of the invested funds in scholarships each year.
“We are thrilled to support these young adults as they continue their education,” said Bob Warzecha, chair of the Holdingford Scholarship Endowment advisory board. “This endowment started as just an idea five years ago, and we are extremely grateful for the community’s support. Through their belief in the power of education, and their generous donations of money and time, we’ve been able to increase the number of scholarships each year. It’s having an immediate impact on our kids.”
About The Holdingford Scholarship Endowment
Created by community members and Holdingford High School alumni in 2013, the vision of the Holdingford Scholarship Endowment is to provide a scholarship for every student graduating from Holdingford High School. The Endowment is a Partner Fund of the Initiative Foundation, led by an advisory board of volunteers who ensure a permanent, self-sustaining source of support for graduates. Funds are raised through events and individual, business, and organizational donations. To learn more or to make a donation, visit https://holdingfordscholarship.org/.